Thread: Nonstarter
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2024, 18:01   #4
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

I had a similar problem with mine about 8 years ago whilst towing the caravan.We travelled down to the Brecon Beacons and stopped off briefly to get some supplies at a supermarket.When I returned to the car it wouldn't start.
Not knowing what the problem could be we popped into the caravan to have a cup of tea and a good think about what were going to do.40 minutes later I tried it again and it fired up straight away.
After we got back from our trip away I popped over to Jules in Colwyn Bay and he knew instantly what the problem was.It was the cam sensor at fault.
Apparently it's just a magnetic sensor and when it gets hot they lose there ability to pick up the position of the cam.This of course only happens when the sensor starts to fail.When the faulty sensor cools it works again.
I can only imagine they lose there magnetic forces the warmer they get on a failing one.
From what I understand they only used for when you start the engine,so if it is faulty the engine will not cut out once it's running