View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2019, 16:47   #1
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04

Default Help getting a new headlining into the car - saloon

You may have seen from my other thread (here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=298359 ) that I am replacing the headlining on my 75 saloon. This has thrown up a number of problems, not least because I discovered that my sunroof was an aftermarket one and the old headlining had been bodged to fit around it (all described in the other thread).

Anyway I am now at the stage where the old headlining is out, the sunroof has been taken out, overhauled and put back in, I have sourced a replacement headlining (second hand but in fairly good condition, no sagging)… and so the next thing is to get the new headlining back into the car.

The old adage 'refitting is the reverse of removal' does not really apply because the old headlining was scrap and therefore it was very bent as a result of getting it out.

Other threads suggest that this is 'fiddly but do-able', with various suggestions about it going in through a rear door, a front door, drivers side, passenger side, etc, but when I came to do this I could not see how to do it - the headlining just seems too wide, and of course I don't want to risk bending the headlining.

Measurement-wise it does appear that the width of the headlining would fit across the longer diagonal of a front door (ie from the footwell corner to the upper seatbelt mount on the B-pillar), but on the passenger side the glove box is then in the way, and in the drivers side the steering wheel.

Before I try anything more drastic (eg I have seen a thread that says take all the seats out, and I certainly don't want to remove the front or rear screen!), I would appreciate any enlightenment from members who have successfully got a headlining through a door. A good description or even photos would be great!

By the way, if it makes any difference, my front seats are electric and the rear seat back is fixed as opposed to fold-down-able

thank you.