View Single Post
Old 21st April 2021, 21:34   #18
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
To keep the drum in good condition and the handbrake working efficiently, the handbrake needs some regular use to stop the car whilst on the move. If the lever is just pulled up when the vehicle is stationary, rust will take hold on the inner surface.
I regularly lightly apply the handbrake whilst on the move, and always after traversing flooded roads (the 75 tourer is my daily car and all of my route to work and back is on country lanes, they have been flooded for days at a time several times this winter, never known them to be so bad).
I know travelling through floods is not generally advised but their is no other option to get to work, other than roads that are flood even worse!
As i travel them daily i know the roads very well, can anticipate where any flooding will be and can slow down in advance to tackle them at a sensible and safe speed.
The efficiency of the hand brake diminished over the winter so I guess even though I applied the handbrake after the last flooded section before my destination it wasn't sufficient to dry them out thoroughly before parking up (I don't leave the handbrake applied at home or work as the drive/carpark are both gravel and dead level).
One of the more severe floods from this winter in the picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.jpg (138.1 KB, 14 views)
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote