View Single Post
Old 9th December 2018, 18:54   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Next question is where is all the generating capacity is coming from?
Currently we have very little wind or solar power and insufficient nuclear. We don't own our own power stations or national grid and plan to import power from France and Norway. We barely have enough power to cope when everyone turns on the kettles after watching east enders.
We burn an enormous amount of petrol and have bought progressively bigger and heavier cars. Imagine if every car you saw on the road needed charging every evening. At present we couldn't begin to cope and nothing in our plans suggest we will be able to cope in the foreseeable future.
I reckon there are four answers. 1. We start building power stations like never before (wind, wave, solar, nuclear, coal whatever - just get them built) 2. We embrace rationing, you get x kilowatts per month, what you do with it is your choice. 3. its rationed by price, the laws of supply & demand operate and electricity goes from being a fraction of the price of petrol to being equivalent. 4. We get used to traveling far less and what traveling we do is in much more efficient vehicles (tiny utility pods for short-range & buses/trams/trains for everything else).
Which do we reckon?
Are you one of those eco warriors? Depends on how much money you have. Rationing? Had enough of that 1945 to the fifties. Let’s just have the rich in cars. Sorry, I disagree with you.