Thread: snow down south
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2021, 21:46   #20
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Well, studded are not legal in the UK due to our mild weather. You will get people putting them on either on a forecast of snow/ice or at a certain time of the year. For instance I put on my winter tyres middle of December and take them off end of February. However. it is allowable to use them in Scandinavia and some parts of the European continent simply because they have known periods of snow and ice covering. In fact mandatory. A person from them parts may chip in with more precise info.

Kev
No law here in Sweden on studded tyres, winter tyres, studded or friction (snowflake symbol) are required between 1st Dec - 31st March if the road conditions require it. (ice/snow/frost on any part of the road surface).

I used to run an SD1 Vitesse all the year round using friction tyres during the winter. Yep, rear wheel drive V8 but I've lived here for more years than I care to remember so lots of experience. I've used studded in the past, but although the grip is better on ice, 95% of the time the major roads are dry and studded tyres make a lot of noise and reduce braking efficiency on dry surfaces. Some city streets ban the use of studded tyres because of increased pollution. We're permitted 110 studs per tyre on 15" ones. Studded tyres are by nature more expensive and driving on dry roads wears the studs out.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote