View Single Post
Old 5th July 2022, 18:14   #9
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
More trouble at mill for Jaguar! Are we going to see the UK auto manufacturing fall even further behind because of chronic under investment in NEV (new energy vehicles supplies)

Jaguar are going full electric by 2025 but with no signs of early battery supplies on the horizon, They need to look further afield.

"The UK lacks the cell and pack factories automakers will need to support their transition away from the internal combustion engine. In what could be a fresh blow to British carmaking, the country’s top auto manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, is in talks with Northvolt and SVolt Energy Technology about supplying batteries for a range of EVs it may assemble in Slovakia, according to people familiar with the matter.
Unless battery investment picks up, carmakers may only accelerate their exodus from what was once the world’s second-biggest auto manufacturing base. The last few years, the UK fell outside the top 15." https://vnexplorer.net/uks-automotiv...-s1672035.html

Very poor government policies since the end of WW2 as well as underinvestment by the companies. For BL the issue was virtually all the combined companies had just launched new models and thus there was no defined and simple forward planning + plus all the labour disputes hitting quality and sales they were always behind the "extra options" that the Japanese offered.

For Ford it was globalisation but I do remember Ford of Britain giving the parent US company a loan of £600 million (early 70's) to prevent Ford going bankrupt and Chapter 11.

GM just run out of money and so decided to concentrate on Continental factories where less labour issues occurred.

What if?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote