View Single Post
Old 26th February 2020, 19:39   #1
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

Default where not to break down

Hi, the adventures of my MG ZT continue - after the marathon journey to Basel in Switzerland and back last December, I had done not too many miles but all seemed well. I had to go collect some vintage hi fi from a guy in South Wales, so I set out late morning and drove down via M5 and found the place, paid for and picked up the hi fi and started off home. All well until I got to the M5/M6 junction, heading north - it was just after 6pm, so busy... I pulled into the middle lane when I could and then; the engine cut out - engine management light came on and I rolled to a halt in the middle lane. Just opposite the RAC control centre! It would not restart, so I called the AA and said it was an emergency as I was parked somewhere slightly dangerous (!!) - the Police came after some minutes, closed off the road behind me and rolled the MG ZT off into a safe place. The AA were not arriving and mobile signal was awful, so after about 30 mins I tried starting the engine - and it roared into life perfectly. Right - I drove at 30 mph along the slow lane to see what would happen - after a mile and a half or so, on comes the engine management light, the engine cuts and I steer the car into the hard shoulder lane in front of some bollards for protection. Called the AA again - better mobile signal, and I ended up flat bedded to Hilton Park Services where the AA man did a diagnostic - and found it was the crankshaft sensor at fault. We ended up being 'relayed' back home, and my local garage just replaced said sensor today. But what a place to break down, eh? Apparently when the engine is cold the crankshaft sensor works OK, but as soon as it warms up it goes wrong. I had one of those go on an old Mazda a few years ago, so worth people noting this as a potential fault.
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote