View Single Post
Old 12th January 2022, 19:51   #54
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have never driven an HGV but I imagine that when laden their acceleration is slow. Therefore the driver will try to maintain momentum at all costs. This, I believe, is the reasoning behind one lorry overtaking another at a differential speed of almost zero since they probably have speed limiters.

But isn't it unfair to single out HGV drivers? As Phil has said, car drivers don't want to use lane 1 even when it is free of traffic. It takes far less concentration and skill to sit in lane 2 or 3 maintaining a distance from the car in front by either accelerating or braking. It is this practice which results in congestion, not the HGVs who are limited to lanes 1 and 2 anyway. If lane 3 was used properly traffic would flow much more freely.

Simon

Simon - the issue is that their efforts are usually futile because the speed differential isn't sufficient to get one lorry quicker to its destination than the other. Most of the time it would be far better to dial the cruise back a couple of notches and match the speed of the lorry in front than to overtake.

My issue is primarily with the practice on 2-lane carriageways e.g. much of the A14.

I am only singling out lorry drivers because on roads like the A14 it is lorries that cause most of the issues of the type we are discussing. Fortunately, we do not get the same volume of Honda Jazz drivers on their way to Felixstowe.

Last edited by MSS; 12th January 2022 at 20:01..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote