View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:39   #108
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Acknowledgements to earlier posts, I seem to have over-egged it!

There is a running theme of comparing Brexit with a mooted vote re Scotland. As usual, the comparison is tending to come from what might be called, trying to be polite, anti-Brexiteers. 6 years ago! That battle is won and lost. We should get over it! At the very least, comments using one as comparable for the other are invalid. I just don’t see the connection.

There is a glaring anomaly:

To whit: leaving the EU with the whole of the UK voting because it affects the whole population? Including separate self-governing democratic entities?

That against one member of that combination voting to leave this established state by limiting the vote to a tiny minority party, primarily because of a reasonably suspected anti-English aversion? That, in my view, is corrupt. Oh, and just by the way, undemocratic.
If what you had written was accurate, it would indeed be a travesty. But it isn't, so it's not.

Regarding sore losers in the Brexit referendum, I hope you're not referring to me - as I have already made plain, it makes little difference to me either way. I only mention it as an instructive experience with a great deal of direct relevance to mbev's original post about the likelihood of the issue becoming highly divisive and leaving very few people better off.

With your point about Indyref2 being a stealth way of getting Scotland into the EU, you seem to have forgotten that more Scots wanted to stay within the EU than Brits in total wanted to leave. The whole point of leaving the UK is so they can determine their own future! It is irrelevant whether or not you think that Scotland should or shouldn't join the EU - they simply don't want people like you lecturing them on what is or isn't good for them. And recent events are highly unlikely to have reduced the proportion of Scots who prefer life within the EU. And whether or not you like the way in which the SNP is trying to bring about a second referendum, I don't think anyone who supports the current Westminster government is in a position to lecture anyone else about what is legal and proper. Do you?
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote