View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:40   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Thanks Gents. I had to replace a couple of brake pipes for the MOT, so brake fluid completely changed then. 200 kilos is a fair weight difference- that's 3 people! I'll have to dig a bit deeper into upgrading the braking system. Car has 18 inch wheels, do gives me room if I need it.
Cheers.
Did you change the pipes, or did a 'mechanic' do it?

ie did they do a complete change, or just a top up and bleed? It may be worth even at least bleeding it just in case there is air in the system.

I cannot make a direct comparison to my own, as I changed it when I change to the 190 set up. However, flushing my mother's brake fluid made her brakes go from spongy to pulling your lungs out through your ribs lol.

There are a number of potential issues, that could be at the heart of your problem.

With the previous recent work, I would check the condition of the calipers, (as it is free), do they move freely, are the slider pins greased? Then visually inspect the fluid at the master cylinder (should be a very light golden colour). Visually check the pads and discs.

If the above all checks out, I would flush fluid through to be sure - even if when the fluid was changed, how fresh was it? Making sure any air is completely bled out of the system. If there is an issue with bleeding it, it could be joins introduced via the new pipework or new fittings, they could be drawing air and therefore moisture into the system.

Beyond that, it could be time to consider new/better pads, and then discs, you would be looking at around £100 to do this. But if you were to go down this route, think about the 190 upgrade. The 190 upgrade could be around £200-300, so that £100 would be wasted.

The fluid in the image attached was my mother's, 2 years after it was supposed to have been changed. (the fluid in the pipe is fresh)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93679864_10159557901408294_3605406856358395904_o.jpg (61.1 KB, 13 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote