Thread: Nissan Micra
View Single Post
Old 26th September 2021, 23:04   #14
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Yes some of these modern engines in a lightweight shell are truly amazing, I had to drive an almost new Fiesta last year with a tiny turbo engine and was dreading it as I had to do several hundred miles. I arrived amazed at the cars ability and tiny fuel consumption.

My concern as an engineer is how long can an engine this small developing that much power last especially with the extended oil changes these modern cars are supposed to survive on?

My guess is the manufacturers dont care as long as they last the warranty period and once they are past that you will be spending your hard earned on keeping them going.

As much as fuel economy is important if you are going to have to fit a new or refurbished engine or turbo every 80k miles what is the point?
Advancement in engines and technology has moved on as each generation of cars develops over the years so a small engine that in the past would be deemed underpowered and kaput at 60k miles in years gone by is more than adequate to power today's cars and have longevity.
2 litre turbo engines of today can outperform the 6.3 and 7.2 V8 engines fitted to your Jensen which were the pinnacle in the 60's and 70's and provide triple the fuel consumption to boot.
Time and technology moves on and proof is in the pudding that these smaller engines are so far ahead of similar sized engines from a generation or two ago.