View Single Post
Old 9th June 2016, 08:20   #18
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Look on the bright side Pete - you got the strut pinch bolt out.

Despite a good clean up and soaking in penetrating oil, and using an impact gun and surface drive impact sockets mine refused to budge, eventually rounding off the bolt head.

Next step is to weld a bigger nut on and then I can get the 3/4" drive socket set out, which along with the 5ft scaffold bar should shift it.

Often welding the nut on frees the threads up as they expand a bit with the heat, but we'll see.

This is on Mrs Noc's 75, and this could be the first time it has been undone since coming off the production line.

Having had one front spring fail thought I'd change both and fit tyre protectors - every little helps.
Good luck Mike - nice to know someone is going through similar pain at the same time as me !. I will be interested in how the hub/strut split goes for you when you get to that stage.

The top pinch bolt was very stubborn - I cracked it with a 6-sided 15mm socket on a 3 foot breaker bar after a good soak in releasing fluid - but it remained very tight almost to the end, so it was a slow process moving the socket around the breaker bar every quarter turn, and moving it a bit more, until I could start moving it with a long handle ratchet. I think when I do the other side, I might fire up the compressor and try the Ingersoll Rand impact gun to remove it - I did not think it was worth it on this side for one bolt !.

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote