View Single Post
Old 28th January 2022, 17:46   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I was always impressed by my grandfather's licence, never did a test, (grandfather rights I believe they are colloquially known), but on every renewal, it stated 'all groups'. That included class 1 HGVs (or whatever they were known as until at least 1998 - the year he died)!

I have some grandfather rights on my licence too, but nothing like his.

In NI it was difficult though not to be stopped at some time (checkpoints were a very frequent and random occurrence)and be asked to produce. Being stopped by an army only checkpoint (although they were rare), was no concern, as any ID was sufficient (could even be drunk!), but most checkpoints were accompanied by police (due to their legal powers) and if you didnt have a licence on you, depending on their or your attitude, they could proceed to check over the car for roadworthiness, then ask you to produce all your documents at a police station within 14 days - the days before internet/network access. But if you had a decent attitude (first thing was to switch headlights to sidelights), and were forthcoming with bank cards or other ids if your licence was not with you, you could get away without mot or tax............. apparently

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote