View Single Post
Old 18th June 2020, 12:19   #6
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That is completely incorrect, there is more than adequate clearance to separate the lower arm from the swivel hub without undoing the rear bush from the subframe.

A different matter if the whole arm is to be replaced of course

To separate the joint, equip yourself with a 65mm exhaust clamp U bolt, undo the pinch bolt and remove, fasten the U bolt loosely around the bottom of the arm, then thread a pinch bar or similar long bar though the U bolt and the bottom of the arm, and then tighten the U bolt up finger tight.

Tap a large flat screwdriver into slitted part of the hub joint, then stand on the end of the bar, and the joint will separate.

The trick with separating parallel joints like this, is keeping the pin parallel when you dismantle, and reassembling them, and if this technique is employed any time this joint needs to be separated, then you will never split the joint cover boot ever again

Brian
Thanks, sounds like a better plan.

I have a 70mm exhaust U clamp - will this be too big and slip? Ive also got 2’ crow bar or 2’ pry bar - do you think these will be man enough?

The cars about 25miles from me at my sister’s farm, which is miles from nearest small town, so need to make sure I take everything I need with me. Otherwise it could be an hour and half trip to get something.
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote