View Single Post
Old 6th July 2016, 11:34   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

We hired three times, off season around 15 /20 years ago - between caravans. We enjoyed it, but had our fill of it. Hiring is I would suggest the way to go, to see if you even like it first. It was very nice starting up on a morning and having breakfast being cooked whilst still on the go.

The Broads was always where my parents liked to spend holidays, never on boats, we couldn't afford it - but because my father's family originated there.

Rather than hire from an agency, ring one of the boatyards direct to discuss hire I was told. Many are/were summer boats only - no heating available except from the engine coolant. Some had an FBH or gas heating - a point to check if you intend early/late summer/ winter use. Manoeuvring in strong wind can be difficult too .

I see so many bought, once loved and then neglected boats around.

You cannot beat a caravan, for an impromptu few days away, especially if it is parked in your drive ready to use at a moments notice. Mooring fees put us off buying a boat, site fees put us off having a static, having a motor-home parked in the drive doing mostly nothing, put us off those. The caravan only costs us the initial cost, plus occasional parts and a bit of extra fuel when we use it. The rest of the time it costs only depreciation and we all love it. A comparable boat would be much smaller in space.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 6th July 2016 at 11:38..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote