View Single Post
Old 10th July 2018, 17:18   #3
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Hi All,
My car has stood idle for a while due to health problems.
I was cleared to drive a couple of weeks back, so I checked the car early last week (Tuesday) & it would not start, tried but failed. So I put it on charge for about 5 hours and then on Wednesday drove for about 70 miles (35 each way).
Today I when to use the car and it didn't have enough in the battery to start again?
I replaced the battery a couple of years ago, with a Bosch Silver Plus. Battery voltage now is 12.13V (+/- multi-meter accuracy).
Nothing has been left turned on and no incar satnav to drain the battery.
Any thoughts?

Also, would getting a Ctek 5.0 charger be of any benefit as I will not be using the car regularly now.

Thanks
SteveN
Again sounds like the battery has died - it may be taking a charge but not holding it. It may well have 12v across it when it's off-load but not have the capacity to start the car - you probably need to take it to Halfords or auto electrician and get them to drop test it. i.e. stick a big load across it and see what the voltage drops down to. If you've got long arms or an assistant you can see what the voltage drops down to when you try to start the car, anything less than about 10v is a good indicator the battery has had it.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote