View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 15:40   #23
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Living in this small town of mine,i find it difficult to believe that unemployment has gone down. This is because of my observations when i walk up my High street and see so many youngsters walking around with a bottle of beer or sitting outside of the pubs ALL day.????. Unless of course they all work Night shift and don't need any sleep.

Maybe I can help. Reliable stats are here: www.livehere.co.uk/statistics-Rhymney. They say: Figures come from Dept. for Work & Pensions.....

"The rate for Rhymney is both higher than the average and higher than the national average suggesting finding a job in the area may be hard...… it does not have a significant immigrant population. Figs are from the latest available source ie Census 2011. Jobseekers Allowance 4.6%, Incapacity Benefits 3.9%, Any Benefits (in work benefits) 21%."

It seems Caerphilly has a disproportionate reliance on in-work benefits and that it may be due to the influence of a devolved government although that would be highly speculative. There is also a very significant difference in age groups for unemployment in the area which also might be speculative. HTH.