View Single Post
Old 17th May 2019, 08:02   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Cut and paste of numbers in situations such as this is not proper analysis, unless it is made clear what each number represents.

As I pointed out in post #13, the UK numbers do not include people on zero-hour contracts, especially people on such contracts and offered relatively low hours. Adding these doubles our roughly unemployment rate relative to Germany, for example, where such contracts are not a feature of employments contracts. The same applies in about a dozen European countries.

https://www.globalworkplaceinsider.c...ts-in-germany/

To use statistics such as these as a measure of the country's financial and employment well being, the measure should have at least three dimensions - employment percentage, worked hours per working-age head and average wage per hour. Another useful measure would be the percentage of people in employment who supplement their income with employment benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Many UK careers and jobs exported to the Mainland over the decades, including two of mine.

Still why should I care, I'm alright Jack. I'm off to purchase a nice new BMW. Such purchases help the economy and create many careers and jobs.
In reality far more to China, India and the far-east.

Opening a thread that describes those who may have a differing viewpoint as "Doom and Gloom Merchants" is an interesting but characteristic approach to "mature debates" by certain individuals.