View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2020, 01:25   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderN View Post

@clf: the extra inline thermostat that I installed helped to improve the temperature, it is just not 100%
.......... because of this, I would bet that your new proper thermostat is opening early, and that the inline thermostat is letting too much coolant past, (when fully closed). I have experienced this with an inline thermostat (x3).

The proper thermostats are known to open early, so much so, a special 'version 3' type was commissioned a number of years ago, but these too, are not perfect apparently.

I cannot understand how the transmission oil cooler could cool the coolant so much that it effects the rest of the engine. Both coolant thermostats, if working, would not fully open until they reached at least 88 degrees for the 'proper' thermostat. The coolant comes cooled from the radiator to the oil cooler, then to the engine, gets hot, the thermostat opens, at the prescribed temperature (88 degrees), and then back to the radiator to the cooler.

I would still suggest trying a different inline thermostat, testing it for water tightness before fitting. A £10 thermostat and 30 minutes to fit, is so much cheaper and easier than an oil cooler that receives cooled coolant. Reject if water leaks from the bowl quickly, whilst cold. Heat in a pan of hot water to make sure it opens at least once before testing. Also when fitting, do not push by the bulb, I suspect I damaged my first one by doing this.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 23rd October 2020 at 11:08..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote