Thread: South of France
View Single Post
Old 7th November 2021, 21:21   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHolroyd View Post
This is the email from the garage:
The Problem with the car is the Water Tank is leaking water,, So we changed the Expansion Tank and Cap and now the car is running ok But the Tank is now will leaking water but only a small amount before it was poring water out when running

This is because the car is Pressurizing THE WATER system maybe Head Gasket to change or May need another Engine
Thank you for your reply Fiona. The garage's response is not a surprise but almost certainly the wrong diagnosis. It's extremely unlikely to be a head gasket problem on a V6 (this afflicts only the 1.8 engine but garages do not distinguish between the two). Talk of a replacement engine is frankly ridiculous.

The garage seems to be saying that the coolant is being ejected through the expansion tank cap, there being no mention of a leak in the 'V'. This could simply be the result of a faulty radiator fan as I mentioned last time. I would urge you to get the test I described done as soon as possible to either confirm this or rule it out.

The necessity to bleed the system only occurs after it has been drained for repair work, so if none has been done then an air lock is unlikely.

Jon also asks this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
To Simon.-----Could it be the thermostat failed shut?
If the overheating is very rapid, irreversible and occurs irrespective of road speed then yes, that is a possibility, although a rare one. Check the radiator fan operation first.

I agree with your plans to do whatever you can yourselves and to not use that garage again. I look forward to the next bulletin!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 7th November 2021 at 21:24..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote