View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 23:24   #87
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

No worries, Kev. I shall continue using my classic cars instead of a shiny new Scalextric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
No Simon. The lorry is causing an obstruction, blocking traffic for an extended period of time whereas the car drivers are the affected party.

Just to reiterate, I am not only critical of lorry driver. When the revolution comes and the list is drawn up for the order in which to send road users to the education/correction facilities, the order will be:

1. Cyclists

2. Car drivers/motorcyclists

3. Van drivers

4. Lorry drivers

This is despite myself belonging to the first 2 groups. But some lorry drivers may move up the list if they are found to be defending or sympathetic towards the practice being discussed. We can not defend the indefensible.
All vehicles behind said congestion points are affected.

And rather than defending or being sympathetic to HGV drivers exclusively, l am merely recognising the reality of the situation by coming at it not only from the point of view of an HGV (class one) driver of thirty years standing & therefore having a fairly comprehensive grasp of the challenges & travails of driving those vehicles, but also of being a car driver of forty three years, meaning l'm also very familiar with the challenges & travails of driving a car in my personal life too.
You yourself, Maninder can only come at it from the one point of view, & being that the major source of road-occurring challenges/travails of both HGV & car drivers alike is other car drivers anyway, l'm not of a mind to being wholly in agreement with your point of view. And l certainly don't regard an opposing view as coming from an indefensible standpoint, not in the least.
I don't agree with lorry drivers who won't back off slighty to let a (albeit slightly) faster lorry pass on a busy carriageway but l also recognise that (lorry drivers being human notwithstanding) taking into account the way the industry is structured & is run, it's not a practical or reasonable expectation to have the speed of the national HGV fleet, on probably the major part of the country's road network, governed by one of the slower vehicles in that fleet. If remotely-controlled goods vehicles are introduced then that's fine, the industry & drivers will have to adapt but until then we'll all just have to remain as steadfast & tolerant of our fellow roadusers as we always have done.
And those of us who do like the goods we need, essential or not, to be reasonably available, may feel a certain gratitude that there are people who are willing to criss-cross the highways & byways of this great land in order to keep us supplied with them.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 17th January 2022 at 23:27..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote