View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:49   #8
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
My ZT190 always sounds noisy when first started from cold. Its an 02 plate and I've seen from reading threads on here that I might need a new oil pick up O-ring in the sump.

ITEM: O Ring - LYX000210L https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LYX000210L

I don't know for certain if this will cure the problem but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Is it easy enough to remove the sump and replace the O-ring?

Also, it looks as though there isn't a sump gasket on the KV6, rather some sealant instead? .

Looking at rimmers prices, that seems excessively expensive https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LVV005188

Is there an inexpensive alternative?
Here is my experience on that o-ring. My Son had been experiencing some top end noise from his zs180 and off course he had been reading about the alleged o-ring issue, I thought it highly unlikely that this was the case, but he eventually persuaded me to remove the sump which is no mean feat if you are trying to avoid disturbing the exhaust manifold. Spent quite a few hours at it for nothing as the o-ring was indeed intact and had plenty squeeze and suppleness on it to be refitted, however what we did find in the sump was tiny fine metallic fragments which were non magnetic I thought perhaps were main bearing material.

Have fun removing the sump, especially the set screw nearest the front which needs to be cut in place with a modified hacksaw blade and the sump hanging half down. Fit a shorter set screw in its place as there is plenty depth of thread in the sump.

Later we fitted new tappets but this didn’t cure the rattle. (Btw it wasnt the manifold which was already eliminated). Eventually I pulled the engine and stripped (notice the I as son has a habit of sneaking off and doing something else and leaving to dad) it down to find the timing end main bearing had almost lost all of its white metal backing. This was quite scary to see as he has a heavy right foot and would have been only a matter of time before a conrod exited the crankcase or such.

So on one hand I think you are wasting time removing the sump as the o-ring will be intact, however on the other at least we discovered the contents of the sump which told us that the bearing were beginning to break up.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote