Thread: Oil Query
View Single Post
Old 20th March 2021, 15:28   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Not Rover related but I wonder if anyone has any advice or views on this matter.

My other half has a 2016 VAUXHALL VIVA, its a really tidy little car to be honest fully kitted out with absolutely everything and is great not only for round town but tackles motorway driving with ease unlike a number of other smaller cars that I have been in or driven.

The Car was unfortunately bought from Evans Halshaw in Cardiff whose appalling service I won't even go into as I would be here all day.

Anyway back to the point when buying the car she took out the servicing programme as well so was contracted to taking her car back to EH ( which I wasn't particularly happy about) for the 4 year Lease Purchase thingy scheme until buying out the car at the end as it is spotless, a really tidy runner and has only done 26,000 miles.

So now using a local garage the car was taken in for an MOT and service Friday and we received a call saying that upon reading the previous service book that EH had filled it out using 5W 30 oil but that clearly printed on the oil cap on the engine was 5W20.

The garage had rung its Vauxhall supplier for a new oil and air filter plus oil and been told that the correct oil for the car and that supplied by them was 0W 20 oil.

So now we're juggling with 3 different grades of oil and I'm a little confused, having read everywhere on the net and in the handbook that the right oil for the car is 5W 30 rather than the 5W 20 clearly indicated on the engine oil filler cap and now a vauxhall parts supplier claiming that 0W 20 is the correct oil.

At the moment on Monday I'm going back to the local garage to say that we'll use 5W 30 as indicated in the handbook and online by other suppliers upon putting the registration in the search boxes.

So my question is for those knowledgeable about such matters what is the ins and outs of these different grades and their implications?
I well sympathise with your experiences with EH, we had a similar experience when I bought a Corsa for my daughter, service was nothing short of appalling, never again to set foot in any of their showrooms, let alone buy any of their cars.

As for getting a Vauxhall parts department to give you any information which is correct, well you are going to wait for a long time. How do you even know that the engine oil filler cap is the correct one, I would say that the 5w-30 is more than likely to be the correct grade, I would go with what the service book says.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote