View Single Post
Old 17th January 2021, 21:38   #32
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

just to clarify some points in regards to DRLs mentioned on here.

DRLs are usually set up to turn off when the dipped beams are switched on, but this is not a requirement and some cars are set up to have them on all the time, but usually they dim down and work as sidelights/position lamps when the dipped beams are switched on. Many audi's with the signature audi style strip DRL headlights are set up this way.

In regards to OEM DRLs being blinding at night, there is only 1 vehicle I can think of with this problem which has bright xenon white LED triangular shape DRLs (with the triangles pointing inwards on either side of the grill) which stays on full brightness with the headlights on. I thought it was a earlier Nissan qashqai but can't find any pics of the particular DRLs online so must be a different SUV. Other than that I can think of any other car that has DRLs which are blindingly bright at night, and I'm always looking at DRLs for ideas.

The only other time DRLs are blindingly bright at night is when driver's forget to switch their headlamps on at night. I see this quite regularly. This is because pretty much all cars now have permanently lit dash boards and only have a little indicator on the dash to tell when you've switched your headlights on, unlike on our cars when it's obvious you haven't switched your headlights on as nothing on the dash lights up being the big giveaway. Careless but I can see how that mistake happens on modern cars.

Pretty much all the DRLs I offer are set up to either turn off or dim down with the sidelights on dipped beams. I do get some requests to leave them on all the time, but to be honest none of the halo rings/DRL strips etc I offer are really that intensely bright that they'd blind you at night.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 18th January 2021 at 14:19..
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote