Old 3rd July 2020, 17:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Thanks Brian. Difficult to see all that from the pic.---

To the OP. Most of the work building a garage is fairly easy if you have reasonable building skills. If not then you might be able to tackle the floor slab yourself and even the simple electrics but you'll need the other three trades to complete the job.----

Look at their previous work though and don't take any chances.---Good luck with it.

With any job quality control by yourself is ESSENTIAL to nip any errors in the bud.

PS. Tiling battens. The membrane has to have the battens on top so that the hooks on the roof tiles can fix on to them.

The angle of the roof determines if tilting fillets are required.

The wall plate that the gang-nailed roof trusses sits on must also be fixed down to the garage walls by wall straps.

As they say in the trade the work needs a good coat of looking at.--Lol.
brick work is beyond me and I don't think I have the skills for the roof.
As for electrics, yes I could do them but I'd like them certified. The slab, worried I'd get it wrong and it would bend and crack.
I have these ideas going around in my head, I can go 4 meters vertical without planning permission but I think I'd like a lift and so with the depth and width of the garage I may need more the 4 meters in height for the slope of the roof. I'd also like a loft that I can stand up in.
This may be my one chance to have a very big garage with a "workshop" attached. Workshop would have my lathe, shot blaster and compressor, work benches benches and I think I'd get some new toys such as a pillar drill.

I would be at home every day so can try to keep an eye on things.

could all be pie in the sky but I'd like to be prepared

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote