View Single Post
Old 12th August 2015, 21:03   #1
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Default Help me with a 75 or Jag XF dilemma?

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my 75 with an XF and need your thoughts about it.

I own a Y plate 75 Club SE (with extras), which I love to bits, as it has character that modern motors just don't have, but I'm massively disappointed in it's driving performance, with it being a 2.0 KV6 auto and it can't pull the skin off a rice pudding, unless you rev it to death, which results in petrol consumption more akin to an XJ12 Jag of old and is not the way I want to drive a car.

For info, it's in good nick and I bought it with 39k on the clock for £1300.
I spent around £900 for a good service and the belts and it's now done 50k.
The investment here, while still modest, is already twice more than I've ever paid for a car.

My problem is that I'm now seeing these XFs at sub £10,000 and they're starting to appeal very strongly.
Not because of the looks, which I think are bland at best, but because of the practicality.
I could get a 2.7 or 3.0 diesel auto and they'll nudge double the early 20's to the gallon I'm currently getting, for instance.
Then there's all the mod cons, of course.
And the fact that it will just out-perform my Rover in any driving sense.

The only downside I can see is if something goes majorly wrong, but 75's aren't cheap to run either, are they?

The £10k would be a massive jump up but I'm fortunate in that I could lay that out in cash (I work seven days a week), but probably won't, which is where £50 a week finance might appeal.
I'd probably save a chunk of that in fuel alone.

The last point is, my ideal solution of buying a Jag and keeping the 75 can't happen. I can only have one car.

I'm just thinking it's a more modern motor, with leather and flappy paddles and Bluetooth and all that (extras I don't even want, tbh, although seat warming in winter would be nice, an FBH even better).

I don't know

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote