View Single Post
Old 9th June 2021, 20:34   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
during all the troubles I wondered how on earth the good people of Ireland managed? Never sure if they went out if they would be coming home.

macafee2
Going to the bus stop for school, we would duck down behind the sand bags and run to the next wall, until we got to the bus stop, which we hid behind. Using a stick to poke out from behind to alert the bus driver to stop.

In Ireland it wasnt bad at all, in Northern Ireland there were occasional issues, but nowhere near as bad as you would think - remember, you only heard of us when a bomb went off, just think how often that actually was. You certainly would not have the doubt in your mind of 'may not come home'! Just as you wouldnt think of not coming home because of a violent crime or car accident. I actually reckon it would be more frightening and dangerous walking through parts of most British cities - I believe figures would back this up (check out the 2019 crime figures for Greater Manchester as an example HERE], you could knock 20% to give a very rough comparison for population). I also imagine, there is more actual trouble in these cities in regards to gangs, knife crime, drugs and the likes.

The 'troubles' by the way, still exist, or rather the perpetrators and their organisations, but exist for financial gain, legally (charitable contributions to 'community groups') and illegally (drugs and other crime) without the mask of some 300 year old principle.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th June 2021 at 20:38..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote