Old 20th February 2021, 16:07   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my post recently about leaving 75 ownership and replacing with a 2008 Jaguar XF, which I was over the moon with.

Unfortunately, I got the XF up on a lift this morning at a local garage and we were shocked to find the underside was rotten.

Very sad as I loved the car and I am now out of pocket a bit (though distance selling regulations mean I am able to return the car to recoup some of my money). It was immaculate inside and out but was hiding a nasty secret underneath.

None of this mentioned on MOT history either...

Amazing that my 75 that is 4 years older and has done nearly twice the mileage is in far better condition underneath, so I am going to do what I should've done in the bl00dy first place and spend the money getting the 75 sorted.

Lessons learned here:
1. NEVER buy a car without seeing it in person. Hard at the moment I know but nothing beats getting dirty on the ground and crawling underneath with a torch.

2. NEVER buy a Jaguar. Can't believe the corrosion prevention is that bad on a 2008 car.

Happy to be back driving my 75 though. I had forgotten how well she drives.
Good job I hadn't sold her yet!

I have been there, albeit with an X-Type and a untraceable limp mode issue (10 years later I believe it to have been a turbo actuator issue/leak). But this was so perfect everywhere, with common issues (for that time) being sorted. Top money, ad 3 months later, it was traded against a used dealer supplied Passat lost three grand on it between dealer trade in price and the main dealer labour charges.

Because of the era, British car, and looks, I was put off ZTs and 75s at the time because of it (we know better now lol).

One tip though, when looking at a low mileage car, always check and expect the rust to be worse than a higher mileage. Low mileage suggests standing for long periods, and therefore a major lack of air flow. Static moisture and air promotes oxidisation.

One thing

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote