View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2021, 18:23   #14
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Footnote
I put the trim back yesterday which was a right fiddle given the large clump of indecent scotchloks and relays preventing the main side boot trim from recessing correctly. I undid my taped and cable-tied Tidy work and re-did it so that the trim fitted in snugly.

Then I had the thought that I should perhaps have re-tested the 7-pin socket with the proprietary device before sealing everything inside. Guess what?

One indicator now doesn't work. Undoubtedly a Scotchlok. My schoolboy error though. Out it all comes again tomorrow. Pfft.

Scotchlocks are only of any use in my estimation as a strictly temp. get you home fix, especially when they are tucked away and difficult to get at, more so where they maybe subject to moisture or water ingress outside the cabin.

For permanent joins or those that may need disassembly in the future and dependant on location I use a variety of socket / plug connectors waterproof or otherwise, Wago's, chocolate blocks etc mainly from the offerings of such as RS Components, CPC and others.

Yes, using such as these connectors costs a little extra and a little more time, but both well spent for longevity of the joint or if the need arises for disconnections / testing.

Similarly if the bundle of your work in hand, cables, joints, relays etc has to be forced into a cramped space, then extend the loom, there are in many instances a larger space nearby where the bits will fit comfortably, even two separate locations, again more cost in time and a bit of cable but in similar circumstances it's a nice feeling when replacing covers and panels that they won't need to come off in the future for that elusive Scotchlock fault.