View Single Post
Old 26th October 2019, 00:19   #1
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Post Noise and vibration!

Returning from Spain, I noticed that there was a buzzing cyclical noise - more like throbbing! - which varied with speed, being less noticeable at low speeds, but then increasingly noisy above 40mph, and seemingly resonating with the bodywork. For instance noisy at 60 mph, but then quietened down a bit at 64mph, increasing again thereafter etc. The vibration could be felt throughout the body, especially noticeable on the handbrake. On one stop to pay at a peaje, there was a small but distinct smell like burning rubber, possibly from the left-hand side of the car?

Investigation on a ramp at a local garage did not reveal anything of note, except the Spanish mechanics were amazed at the amount of rust underneath! "Sal" he said! It was hard to localise the noise whilst driving, and it definitely got somewhat louder as the miles passed (around 2,000 of them!). I was just grateful we made it home!

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the source of the noise and vibration? I should add that the Tourer was very heavily laden...all those old vinyl records weigh a ton!

Observations on the trip No.1: French drivers will move out to the outer lane to slow your progress if they see a lorry they want to overtake about 300 meters ahead...

Observation No.2: Sheer volume of traffic invariably leads to nose to tail crawling along on all motorway carriages, even where there are no accidents. Only takes one idiot to slow down thousands! The M6 from the toll road onwards was a car park today!

Observation No.3: In France, you will pay about 80 euros in peaje fees to presumably reduce your journey time and distance travelled on the way to Spain...fair enough, although 80 euros will just about fill your tank up...except, fuel on the services of peajes is about 35 cents a litre more expensive than your 'normal' garage, and the chances of eating a three course + drink "menu del dia" for <10 euros, as available at non-peaje service stops is non-existent. So peajes do cost more than just the toll fees!

Observation No.4: The price of fuel at British motorway service stations is as high as 25 pence or more a litre more than "ordinary" garages. So £12 to £15 more to fill up your tank. Daylight robbery!

Observation No.5: Overall mpg according to the computer was 41.5 mpg for the trip from Malaga to Scotland. All bar 50 miles or so on motorway, at speeds generally of around 75 to 85 in Spain and France; in the UK, the mpg improved mainly because of the many road works and miles covered under 50mph road restrictions!

Observation No.6: Do not rely on a route planner app on your phone to navigate anywhere! Many times my phone lost the GPS signal, or no wi-fi, and consequently I found myself way off course too many times to count! There were even road signs in the Navarre district in Spain telling you not to believe your sat. nav!

Observation No. 7: On the last 100km or so of the autovia into Le Havre from Alencon, there are no garages! So don't be brave like me and end up slowing down to about 50mph to eke out the last few kilometres once your "fuel low" warning light comes on just as you've gone past the last garage! How I made it all the way to Le Havre, doing maybe an extra 30 km even when the "Range" said zero, I'll never know!
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote