View Single Post
Old 14th October 2020, 15:01   #22
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Mileage was around 76K, so pretty low. Speaking with Russell and subsequently another ex MGR mechanic, I don't think the issue is as quite as rare as you may imagine, rather it simply goes undiagnosed, or mis-diagnosed. By no means common though.

As for the root cause, it's up for debate. Russell used to work for a main dealer some years back, and said the issue was quite common in low mileage 1.4 K series. One common factor was that the cars in question had all lead a very gentle life and been treated with "kid gloves" as they say - much as I treat mine (it rarely goes over 3K revs). Russells advice going forward was to let the engine work a bit every now and then. No driving like a loon, but just hold it in a low gear a little longer than normal once in a while to give it some excercise.

Interestingly, whilst I had a shed full of engine bits, I was finally able to check the pin holes in the cam covers. Both were perfectly clear - not sure why that should surprise me, but it did nonetheless .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote