View Single Post
Old 16th January 2021, 16:05   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Rad fan and air-con not working properly

I'm in need of some advice, back on Christmas eve I had to drive through some flooded roads. I took it steady, and initially it seemed the only problem was a heat shield being knocked off the underside, and the bottom corners of the arch liners being pulled out of place. Between Christmas eve and 4th Jan I only used the car for 1 quick journey to go and help a neighbour start his Boxster, and I didn't notice anything wrong.

However, first day back to work on the 4th, I started the car to let the engine idle while I opened the gates. A I opened the gates the car just didn't sound quite right, but being 5am I didn't have time to look into it more, and put it down to not being used much for little over a week, and it being a very cold morning. But the car hasn't sounded right since, and I finally had a day off today so had a quick checkover of a few things.

I noticed the cooling fan isn't coming on, at first I thought it was broken completely but it does come on every minute or so for around 15 seconds.
I found a test on here, bridging 2 pins in a connector on one of the aircon pipes. bridging the 2 pins furthest apart, there was a slight delay and then the fan started up. The other test was to bridge the pins closest together, but nothing seemed to happened anywhere.

When pressing the auto or econ button, there used to be a noticeable change in engine noise, and a slight drop in revs when auto was pressed, I could definitely tell audibly between air con being on and off. Now it always sounds the same, regardless of what buttons I press on the heater controls.

I took off the FOS wheel arch liner so I could have a look and check the belt was still attached to the aircon pulley, it was. While I had it off I started the engine and got my son to operate the heater controls while I watch the pulleys.

When he pressed demist, the air con pulley was spinning, he then pressed Auto and the outside of the pulley was spinning, but the middle was stopped. I realised it was probably because it was set to 20 and it was 6 outside, so I got him to turn it down to 16, then tried again.
So demist pressed, no fan at the front, and both parts of air con pulley spinning.
Auto pressed, no fan at the front, and bother parts spinning.
Econ pressed and no fan at the front and outer part spinning, middle stopped.

I then left it on auto for a bit and the fan at the front started up for a few seconds, then went off, came back on a minute or so later, etc

I fitted a gold resistor about 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm guessing the flood water may have killed this? Hopefully solve that issue with a new resistor. What I need some advice on is the aircon. As far as I can tell, the pulley is doing what it should when on auto/demist/econ. So what could be the problem cause no drop in revs, no change of engine sound? And what exactly does it mean when there's no change when bridging the pins on the 'Trinary switch'?

Sorry its a bit of a rambling post but its a bit hard to explain the engine sounding different in a post on here. I did try to do a video, but without a video of how it used to be it's a bit pointless.

All I can think of is the flood water possibly caused a leak in the air con system, and its lost the gas or something?
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote