View Single Post
Old 18th January 2021, 12:31   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
... I hadn't heard of anyone having to replace the gold resistor before.
Hi Derrick,

One or two have "exploded" probably due to water seeping into the cable entry. Arctic always encourages the use of waterproof heatshrink (or equivalent).

Quote:
... I think when the fan came on it was yellow/grey, and black that was bridged. And I think the others were just red and black, and there was no change or anything.
Your memory serves you well. Yellow/grey and black will trigger the fast speed (resistor not in circuit). The only way to check the resistor is by using the windscreen demist function to force the air conditioning to run. However, if you have a separate fault with that, it all becomes rather uncertain.

Don't bridge the red/black & black red because if your air con. is low on gas you might cause expensive compressor damage.

Quote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that you should be able to hear a click as the compressor engages for the air con, but when you select air con, and can see the pulley start spinning, there's no audible click or anything.
  1. Open the bonnet with the engine running and heater in "Econ" mode. Note that the compressor pulley is rotating but the central disc is stationary.
  2. Watch the pulley as an assistant presses the windscreen demist button. You should hear a heavy thunk and the central disc should start rotating. That's the compressor engaging.
If this isn't happening then check that the red wire entering the front of the compressor isn't damaged or wet due to your foray into floodwater. A multimeter is the best way to check for a voltage.

Are you certain that your air conditioning was fully charged and working before?

Simon