View Single Post
Old 20th January 2021, 22:34   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I suspect the immersion of a rather hot fan resistor in 5°C floodwater is a pretty good way of distroying one.

TC
Yes I suspect that did it. First flood was just over a blind summit, couldn't see it as it was night, I won't be taking that route if other roads are flooded again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Derrick,

One or two have "exploded" probably due to water seeping into the cable entry. Arctic always encourages the use of waterproof heatshrink (or equivalent).

Your memory serves you well. Yellow/grey and black will trigger the fast speed (resistor not in circuit). The only way to check the resistor is by using the windscreen demist function to force the air conditioning to run. However, if you have a separate fault with that, it all becomes rather uncertain.

Don't bridge the red/black & black red because if your air con. is low on gas you might cause expensive compressor damage.

1. Open the bonnet with the engine running and heater in "Econ" mode. Note that the compressor pulley is rotating but the central disc is stationary.
  2. Watch the pulley as an assistant presses the windscreen demist button. You should hear a heavy thunk and the central disc should start rotating. That's the compressor engaging.
If this isn't happening then check that the red wire entering the front of the compressor isn't damaged or wet due to your foray into floodwater. A multimeter is the best way to check for a voltage.

Are you certain that your air conditioning was fully charged and working before?

Simon
I couldn't see the pulley properly from the top, so I took the wheel arch liner out and watched that way. Thats what I'd described in the initial post. The central part of the pulley starts spinning when either auto or demist are pressed, and stops when you press Econ or off. But there is no audible sound at all when the central part starts spinning, and there is no drop in revs or change in engine noise.

I'll have to invest in another multimeter, I can't seem to find mine.

I can't say 100% that the air con was working as in, providing cooled air, as it's been so cold lately that just fresh air from outside was as cold if not colder than the air con. However, up until this point the engine revs did drop slightly and there was a change in engine noise when the air con was running.

I've ordered a new resistor for the fan, not sure when I'll get time to fit it though, but once this is fitted I'll at least know that part of it is (hopefully) sorted.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote