View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:41   #13
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
For me provenance is the key.

I'd take a 150K car with a shed load of receipts and an owner who obviously knows and cares about every nut and bolt on the car over a 30K car with a "full dealer service history" - aka it's had a few oil changes, lots of "inspections" and diddly squat actually being done.

Conversely a high mileage without that sort of caring, loving history could easily be a money pit. And with newer car if you haven't go access to the diagnostics there's loads of stuff you can't check or do.

It's a bit of a minefield .

Andy.
My Volvo 740 has nearly 190k on the clock, when my dad bought it back in 2013 it came with a huge stack of bills and paperwork, even for late in it's life, I've kept it after he passed away as it's a very useful car and other than consumables such as brakes, tyres and exhaust hasn't needed major work and been reliable. Other than a slightly worn steering wheel and driver's seat isn't too bad for a 30 year old car.

My ZT had 71k on it when I bought in and has around 79k on it now, but it was the condition and the spec that I was looking for, mileage probably wouldn't have been too critical and for a 15 year old car and average mileage being around 10k.

200k for a modern car should be nothing really if it has been well maintained.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote