View Single Post
Old 9th October 2019, 20:04   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I was born in Barkingside and have had many a pint in the Fairlop Oak. The last pint I had there was last month. It’s now a Wetherspoon, but it has been a Schooner Inn, A Watney pub along with being a Truman house. It also had a off licence at one point.

Barkingside was a small hamlet that got it’s name from being on the “Barking” side of Epping Forest. Barking being the principle town at the time as it had an Abbey.
For some reason I associate you with some masionettes/flats about halfway between B'side and Gants Hill? I lived over the Sainsbury's shop at Gants Hill when I first arrived 'down here' from Runcorn in 1960. What a time that was, the Beatles breaking out all over the place. I still had a Liverpool accent then and the girlies thought I was fascinating! Not that I played up to it at all....

Pubs to be in at the time were Two Puddings, Stratford - Rising Sun, Bethnal Green - Red Lion, Walthamstow. The Blind Beggar was exceptional with many groups that went on to big things. Manfred Mann with Long John Baldry played everywhere. All for free!

Following a magical 'courting', mainly in Valentines Park, we married and lived in Fencepiece Road, a wonderful start.