View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019, 19:57   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That's a good question Ian! As clf says, one definition is that a griddle is a circular iron plate which, as you say, is little different from a frying pan or hotplate except that cooking oil won't be retained. The dictionary also says that 'griddle' is a variation of gridiron which is not a plate at all! I have a very shallow pan with raised ribs which produce the attractive scorch marks characteristic of cooking without added fat or oil. I've always called that a griddle pan!

What is a barbecue? It's for cooking food specifically flavoured by the red hot coals so it requires a gridiron. A solid plate of any kind would defeat the object.

A similar outdoor cooking appliance using gas flames is not a barbecue. This is the method favoured in America and to be fair to them they call it a grill, which it is, if you look at it upside down!

So there you have it Ian; confusion reigns!

Simon

Simon,
I have always regarded a BBQ as something that had coals or similar but it does seem that it is often nothing more then a grill with gas.

I have one that is gas with lava rock over the top but it is too bog for the caravan so got a smaller one. Alas it is nowt more then a grill but it is called a BBQ. I thought the "coals" would flavour the food better.
With the caravan I use the "BBQ" so I don't get cooking smells in the caravan and the fat as much as I can, is cooked out and the cooker stays clean.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote