View Single Post
Old 7th September 2021, 22:02   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I had one, broke my heart, and had to get rid after three months (11 years ago now!). Even main dealers could not find the issue.

Mine was well put together and very tight, even with 100k miles on it. At the time, there was not much in the way of owners' forums and support, this though has now changed and I actually joined a group on facebook. A bit like this forum, lots of support and seem to be friendly bunch. I have since found out what the issue was on mine, and it appears to be quite common on diesel 2.0 Xs. The turbo actuator becomes sticky, causing the car to enter limp mode. But when it did go, it outperformed my passats on both torque and mpg (regularly up to 62 on my daily 10 mile commute via a brim to brim compared to 54)

Also it seems to have been later cars (2004 on cars it seems) that suffer from sill issues. But replacements are rather plentiful and that common, it is quite easy to get them done, and with the covers, the standard does not have to be as high as it does with our cars. But like our cars, and head gaskets 'it is an XType, the sills will be rotten'. or it is just a Mondeo in a frock (nope). Although some parts are interchangeable, again like our cars and 3/5 series, they are not the same (although 220 ST brake upgrade is apparently a tasty and straight fit option).

But I would recommend the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/194507544017196 for any potential owners of this for support (dont try to sell it on there, they are quite whingy about that lol).

I would consider another as a daily, if they werent so common compared to a ZT (and its potential serious classic status).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!