View Single Post
Old 24th January 2021, 21:13   #23
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If you're continually doing 7 mile journeys in cold, wintery conditions then it's not too surprising for a big engine. One thought is that when your windows are covered with ice, do you let the engine idle from cold whilst you scrape it off (this practice decreases mpg)?

Following your thermostat work I would also monitor the coolant temperature to make sure it's reaching the low nineties on your 7 mile drive.

Simon
Unfortunately I aren't able to change the thermostat (again) just yet due to work and needing the car on the road etc. It's still around 81/82°c. I understand that if the engine was running at its correct temperature, it would likely improve mpg slightly.

On a side note, the trip computer is reading out 23mpg on my way to work and back. ( I know it isn't accurate but more of a rough guide) but on my last tank full it was 21mpg on the trip computer and my range appears better.

I reset the trip computer when I fill the tank and the reset the trip mileage too.

When I do the thermostat I'm thinking of flushing the heater matrix as the passenger side heaters dont appear to blow as warm as the drivers side.

When I do sort the thermostat I'll keep a record of fuel used etc and see if there's a notable difference between the stat that opens too early and one that (hopefully) opens correctly.

Rob
biffa75 is online now   Reply With Quote