View Single Post
Old 7th February 2020, 11:28   #16
Roverguest
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks David. That clears up the earlier post which didn't make sense:

So your friend's V6 has two problems: a faulty thermostat and loss of the low speed radiator fan. Is he also based in Bromley? Will he be repairing it himself? Will you be doing it for him? If he wants to pay someone, I strongly recommend not taking it to a local garage. Instead, contact club trader cb750Chris who is based in Portsmouth and doesn't mind travelling.

Tips:
  • After replacing the thermostat, ensure that the two plastic clips on the straight pipe are pushed fully outwards to keep the assembly rigid and leak-free.
  • If the radiator fan turns out to be a 3 speed unit, fitting new motor brushes is a cheap and durable repair provided that you have DIY skills. If you decide to replace it with a 2 speed unit, ensure that it has a high power 'gold' resistor fitted.

I've done both these jobs on my V6 so can provide further detail if it would help.

Simon
What I don’t understand is, people say fan “failure” although the fan clearly does work, as per when AC is requested or when the temperature hits 112 degrees.

If the fan motor brushes had failed and or worn out, surely that would render the fan motor inoperable?

Thanks for the advice
Roverguest is offline   Reply With Quote