View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 08:46   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Brilliant advice. I didn't even think of it but, given the "Rabbit in the headlights" followed by "Drop everything and get this done" action when a SAR landed at work I should have.

Good Luck with it Rich.
Thanks Andy - much appreciated.

I have had nothing but success when forced to use SAR’s both personally and professionally

My most recent was with Vodafone - on retirement I changed my mobile contract from a multi phone commercial plan to a simpler personal one with Utility Warehouse (EE is the provider) - with no contact from Vodafone whatsoever I then get a letter from Themis Debt Recovery saying I owe Vodafone about £15.

SAR revealed that a mobile number I had cancelled in 2016 was still being charged for and as I cancelled the DDM they could not collect the £6.80 a month I had been wrongly charged for years.

It took a bit of effort but Vodafone was forced in the end to PAY ME! - £468.00

Another was an elderly widowed lady client who had a boiler repair refused by Homeserve, the insurance company. When we investigated we found that this elderly lady had been sold eight (8) separate Homeserve policies over the last eleven years all providing much the same cover but Homeserve refused to pay for a boiler repair as the boiler was over 10 years old despite every plan they missold stating that the boiler was covered.

Initially Homeserve offered to refund the premiums on just one policy “as a good will gesture”.

By the time we had finished with them they had been cited on the Financial Ombudsman’s website for misselling in a damning report and our client received ALL PREMIUMS plus 8% interest which amounted to nearly £2000. The boiler repair was the sensor on the hot water tank gone U/S and was replaced for about £40.

A legal one was a Solicitor who “tidied up” a clients affairs by placing all insurance policies into a Trust. Normally a sensible thing to do. But in this case the Solicitor failed to look at what the policies covered. One covered Critical Illness and the sum assured was £250k.

Sadly the chap developed Prostate Cancer and a claim was made on the policy which was successful. However the fact that the policy was now in Trust ment that the £250k was paid into the Trust and was not available to the individual.

At that point all hell let lose. Despite the legal firm saying this was done at the request of the client, the SAR clearly showed that the firm had never even considered what type of policy it was - so how could they advise the client?

The legal firms indemnity insurance had to pay out the £250k to the client.

I genuinely doubt that any of the above would have been resolved if a SAR had not been used.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote