View Single Post
Old 6th December 2021, 16:42   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
No one is insisting but many people are being persuaded or influenced into scrapping their perfectly serviceable car by the "it aint worth fixing mate" brigade, and genuinely believe crushing it and producing a new short life vehicle is somehow good for the planet.
I live next door to a busy working scrap yard and to see the cars in there is alarming, most are under 10 years old, many 6 or 7 years old, mostly electrical faults, some simply a dash light on meaning it will not MOT.
These cars are full of plastics and other nasties many of which are burnt off during the smelting process, releasing many carcinogens into the air we breath.
Ironically the new car replacing these will meet the same fate in under 10 years .
Surely the best thing to help the environment is to keep your old car going, so another one has not got to be produced.

This really has nothing to do with the EV situation. It is merely the result of growth (meaning spending) being considered a key indicator of success. Also, lifestyles driving greed. If we want to be green and caring for the environment, the masses need to change their consumption driven lifestyles.

I think we're dooomed.......
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote