View Single Post
Old 6th December 2021, 22:50   #30
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I do agree that we shouldn't be scrapping cars just to make way for EV's however for as long as I can remember cars have been scrapped and new ones made to replace them.....it's just that now the new ones will have batteries rather then petrol tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Why do people buy these batteries on wheels, just don't get it. Is is reminiscent of people buying the early mobile phones, battery life 10 minutes, and microwave radiation enough to cook a full English breakfast, and the obligatory brick size, making a statement I suppose!.

Look the technology is primitive, they are unreliable, too expensive, and the infrastructure is just not there and when they go wrong!!!, well do you want me to draw you pictures.

So why are these selling so well?, I suppose somebody needs to be an experimental victim. If and when the price is right, i.e. cheap, the reliability improves i.e. they don't catch fire whilst they are being charged, and the range increases by a factor of 10, then, maybe I might consider one, or I will be too old to drive myself!.
I'm curious as to which EV's you've had extensive experience with to form this strong opinion?

The technology is far from primitive, indeed it's now very mature. Just remember that the first cars were electric and that there have been electric cars in one form or another for over a century now. Unlike internal combustion which is now at it's zenith and unlikely to improve EV's will get better however they are already extremely advanced and very usable. Also interesting that you mention fire when in fact EV's are 10 times LESS likely to catch fire then an ICE car. I've had mine for a year and a half and not once has it spontaneously combusted, but maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?