View Single Post
Old 26th July 2020, 11:34   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I've recently dispensed with the landline too for similar reasons plus the quality of the line for phone calls was so poor that it was rarely used for that purpose. Fibre is available here but I think it is a little too pricey atm for my needs so I have opted to try a 4G service and it is working well. I access the net via the mobile phone network using a purpose-bought wireless router with my mobile phone's sim card in it. Currently this is saving me ~ £20/mth as my mobile phone service meets all of my needs with the unused data allowance that I have accrued with it and which I am currently using. The saving will fall in a month or two as I use up my current stash of stored data allowance and have to replace it but by then I expect to have saved maybe £40-£60 depending on my rate of use. After that and at current prices I still expect to save ~ £10-£12/mth going forward.

Using your main mobile phone sim in a 4G router is not ideal and not without problems, the 4G router really needs its own dedicated sim. I suspect that most if not all of the ISPs are aware of the growing use of 4G wireless sim card routers and therefore the need for two different sim cards to be issued on the one account. Maybe the provision already exists, I don't yet know as I'm new to this way of doing things and I'm still researching and learning.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote