Old 2nd March 2021, 13:26   #36
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Also, to respond to some of the posts in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob
Sorry to hear this Rhys.
Do you know if the cam belt, and associated components, have been changed within the last 6 years?
Yes, I had the cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed when I bought the car back at the end of 2017. I think she has done about 30,000 miles since then.
The trusted garage that I have used for years fitted a Dayco kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too
It's hard to explain the burning smell unless it's your clutch complaining at climbing the hill in first. Regarding the engine cutting out, has it done this before, I can't remember? As Colvert says, it's worth checking that the fuel filter is tight. Please read the advice though not to separate the two parts.
On yours and Colvert's advice I will be checking the fuel filter for this fault as soon as I can, hopefully on the weekend.
Strange that I've never had this issue before with it losing power and cutting out going up a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75
How many miles has your engine done ?
I think she's coming up to about 84000 miles.

I have always done oil changes every 6 months. Maybe that was my mistake!

I didn't always stick to one brand of oil so maybe that has exacerbated problems - perhaps the different brands of oil haven't played nicely with each other with the remnants that get left in the engine when you do a change.

I also wonder if any sticking of the tappets could be something to do with my suspected IMG leak? If it is bad enough could there be some emulsification of oil in the engine in the tappets or something like that?
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote