View Single Post
Old 11th December 2020, 19:34   #54
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
From a previous post it looks as if I did it wrong, hence I got 000.
I will try again and hopefully do it right.
It will be an eye opener if at 9 o'clock it is still "cold" as I do get warm air.
I will have to visit this thread after testing again and seeing what the diagnostics display tells me.
I do not want to fit a digital display and I do not want to run in diagnostics mode, I would like the original gauge to be accurate.

If I fit the other inline stat that is recommended in this thread and that opens when the water is hotter, what can I expect to see when it comes to the needle? Will it sit between 9 and 10 0'clock or will it rise to between 9 and 10 and then the stat opens and the needle drops to 9?

macafee2
You do not and will not need to fit an additional gauge, I simply wanted to. I would actually be confident enough to not even have a working gauge with the diesel. All reports seem to suggest that over heating is extremely rare, and even if it did, it would be take it in its stride until you got stopped - the warning light would come on to warm you.

If you find that your thermostat is not allowing it to heat up to the magic 88 degrees (the tell tale is 82 and below), you will still get warm air, the problem is, as you use the warm air, the engine will cool yet more, but you will still receive warm air. The engine will still run fine, albeit a little less economically. Theoretically it will experience more wear, but in real world, I bet the rest of the car will expire first!

If you decide (or you 'need') to fit an inline thermostat, the chances are you will notice little difference, except if you turn the temp up to max. on the ATC, I found it noticeably warmer. With the ATC set to 22-24, there was no change. You may get a couple more mpg, but again, in real world situations, you may not even notice lol.

It doesnt have to be a Wahler stat. I have tried various brands, and all were not as good as the wahler. They are twice the price (£15 compared with £7.50) but they are also twice the quality. As long as the stat holds water in its bowl whilst it is cold, it should be fine, and you dont damage/distort it whilst fitting.

Incidentally, if you watch it at 74 degrees, you will see the gauge at around the 8 o'clcok position, as it turns 75, you will see the needle rise to 9 o'clock. I have only ever seen it rise above the 9 position, and at idle that was some wait! At that point the fan came on, (which was 105, it actually rose to 106 before it fell) and it rapidly fell back to 9 position, which was when I was fed up and embarrassed (it took about an hour, and I am sure my neighbours were wondering what i was up to!).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote