View Single Post
Old 17th April 2021, 21:04   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsan330 View Post
The other issue I dont understand is the water pipes around the engine seem to be hot...but when I take the water cap off ( I know slowly) the water in the reservoir is only luke warm.
Hello Bill. The reason for that is the header tank isn't part of the cooling circuit. It's a sort of stagnant branch that holds a small reserve of coolant and provides space for thermal expansion of what's circulating the main system. There is a small bore hose connection to the inlet manifold which provides an escape route for air in the cylinder head. That's primarily used when refilling and bleeding the cooling system. Once everything's full and air-free, there's very little if any flow to/from the header. This is slghtly different from the KV6, which seems to have more propensity to pump coolant though the head bleed hose. In all cases, the header contents will eventually warm up through heat conduction up the connecting hose to the main system. Note that the hoses attached to the header tank are considerably smaller in diameter than the main circuit ones. That tells you they don't form part of the main cooling system. In short, what you observe is normal.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote