View Single Post
Old 24th March 2021, 22:03   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRayLee View Post
Good morning and thank you all for your replies

The clutch failed at a set of traffic lights when the pedal went straight to the floor with no resistance at all as I tried to select first gear. We had stopped at another set of lights about 400 yards before and it had been difficult to get into gear.

When initially looking at the car the mechanic saw no sign of a leak beneath the bellhousing but saw fluid on the footrest, investigated and changed the master cylinder.

He could see that the black plastic pipe was weeping/leaking where it joined the master cylinder and there seemed no point in not replacing the unit while it was removed. The black plastic pipe has remained unchanged throughout the process although he has wondered if the brass coloured connector could be at fault.

There is no resistance on the pedal at all and it remains stuck to the floor i.e. when pulled to the top and then pushed down it needs to be pulled back up again.

There is no sign of any pressure developing when the pedal is pumped manually. I was surprised to see a lot of fluid running down the outside of the master cylinder when the pedal was pumped vigorously on one occasion.

The question of whether it is losing fluid is more difficult to answer because he has tried bleeding it so often. While I was there yesterday he refilled the master cylinder twice after bleeding.

When I left yesterday he felt he had tried everything and it must be the slave cylinder at fault.

As a newcomer to using this, indeed any, forum I am amazed at how helpful you all are, especially as it must be frustrating because I am at the limit of my mechanical abilities trying to describe the issue(s) to you.

Thanks for the Information. Tell your mechanic to try Trikey's suggestion - disconnect the quick connection and then press the clutch pedal down. If the master cylinder is OK the pedal should lock in place. If the pedal goes to the floor the master cylinder is faulty or it hasn't been bled correctly.. If the master cylinder is OK then reconnect the pipe to the slave cylinder and pump the pedal repeatably. If you have no resistance and lose fluid doing this the fault is on the slave side.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 25th March 2021 at 05:49..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote