View Single Post
Old 12th October 2018, 11:02   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemalbert View Post
Thanks chaps - a couple of weeks on now but on closer inspection the coolant was leaking badly from what apperead to be the straight pipe seal into the thermostat housing - I couldn't say for sure , as it could have been the elbow and couldnt really see. Anyway, job done using the keyhole method. No issues here, I removed the lifting bracket which frrees up more space, and the battery box! I didnt take any chances and replaced all 3 parts and seals. My observation was that the pinky coloured O rings on the old parts, deffo on the straight pipe were badly flattened and came out very easily! After just 5k!! But black O rings seem to hold shape better. I also noted lots of silecone used in previous assembly, safety measure i guess? I took a long time cleaning all the housings to take the new O rings and used Molycote 111 as recommended in the plethra of previous 'Thermostat' posts! That made assembly easy. Bleeding was easy and dare I say after a weeks driving all's good running generally around 89- 91degrees.

questions:

1. are black O rings original spec and if so are they available?
2. Why are pinky coloured seals sold if they fail?
3. Does Kaiser (hope you see this Kaiser) still supply whatever it is thats made from metal? And if so what type of O rings are on it - or does the metal bit come naked?
Black O rings are original spec, pink O rings have changed colour due to being in contact with a chemical that is red in colour.

The O rings have failed due to compression set

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote