View Single Post
Old 26th September 2019, 22:57   #45
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
This will be the first job my TF has needed in over a year Clive, its developed a slight knock when pulling away from stationary, its either the lower engine mount or the small upper rear arm on the N/S, not a big job.

But these mechanics just see the badge and think the worst, the MGR stigma is still fresh in everyone's mind it seems.

As for SLK's, apart from gearboxes made of jelly, they have awful looking front and rear lights...
Gearbox (auto) in SLKs is a strong unit, as long as the electronics don't get wet, and you DO change the ATF. Like a lot of manufacturers, MB claimed their gearboxes would not need servicing for the lifetime of the car. As long as you don't expect your car to live for more than 100,000miles! The 2.3 was the best engine of the R170s, the 1.8/2.0 had a weak timing chain and sprockets, the sprockets on the early R171 3.5s were made of cheese, and had unreliable timing solenoids, a £2,000 fix if it didn't write off your engine first, they had so many complaints about rust on the R170s, they fully galvanised the R171 body. My wife's fully MB serviced (but 2nd hand)230SLK needed a new security and roof ECU after 6 months (it also messes with the auto box) after water got into the bottom of the boot where it lives - £950 by the time it was fitted and coded to the car, that is more than my 75 cost me to buy and maintain in its first year and 22000 miles, excluding new tyres.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote